Water is leaking from the plumbing, areas of the piping have burst, and the stopcock to your plumbing is rusty and difficult to access and turn, even with the help of an adjustable wrench. Does this sound familiar?
Each year, water leakages account for 2,000 to 20,000 gallons of water loss for every household. Instead of struggling with the stopcock, talk to a plumber about the option of installing a surestop switch, which can cut off all water supply to the plumbing of your home with just a single push. Learn more about this topic by reading the information below.
The Fundamentals of a Surestop Switch
A sure stop switch can ensure that the water supply to your house is turned off within seconds by just pushing a button using a simple design that involves a remote switch, twin bore tubing, and a valve. One end of the surestop switch is connected to the plumbing of the main water supply, and the switch is typically placed in an area that is easily accessible. The surestop switch operates on water pressure, and will stop the water flow directly at the plumbing.
To install this switch, the plumbers will first need to shut off the stopcock and remove a suction of the piping with a pipe slice for a clean cut. The valve of the surestop switch will replace this section. The valve is slowly pushed onto the pipe using a rocking motion until the O rings are in place.
One end of the tubing is then connected to the valve and the other end is connected to the switch. Water is then supplied to the surestop switch by turning on the stopcock. This water supply will create the water pressure that is responsible for stopping water flow.
Advantages of This Design
The ingenuity of the surestop design has caused it to be highly recommended by many plumbers. Some advantages that can be enjoyed include:
- ease of installation. The surestop switch is extremely easy to install. Most plumbers can normally get the job done within the hour.
- requires no batteries or electricity. This makes the surestop switch perfect for even when there is a blackout. Without any electrical connections, the chances of the surestop switch malfunctioning are greatly reduced.
- unaffected by lime scale. Unlike many plumbing fixtures and accessories that will deteriorate over time due to lime scale, the surestop switch will remain unaffected. This helps increase the lifespan of the switch, and also reduce the need for repairs and maintenance. Once the surestop switch has been installed in place, chances are that you won't have to worry about it for a long time.
- ease of use. If the stopcock has rusted over, shutting it off or on can be rather difficult, even with the help of an adjustable wrench. Those who have arthritis or simply not enough strength may experience great difficult when trying to turn the stopcock off or on. With a surestop switch, the water supply can be immediately shut off with just a single push of a button. It is that simple.
- versatility. Surestop switches can be installed to just about any plumbing system and structure. The surestop switches are available in various sizes just in case. The surestop switch is highly visible. In comparison, most homeowners don't have an idea regarding where the stopcock is located.
Deal with water leaks immediately and be able to shut off the water supply with no hassle whenever an emergency comes up by simply installing a surestop switch, and water damage can be kept to a minimum. It's simple, easy and definitely a worthwhile investment.