If you recently had a plumbing pipe break inside your home, which left water everywhere, you might be tempted to handle the cleanup yourself. While this is possible with minor flooding issues, it is not always the wisest decision if the water damage is severe. Water in your home will not only leave your fixtures and belongings damaged, but it can lead to mold if the cleanup is not completed properly. Here are two important reasons you should hire a flood restoration company if this happens to you.
Mold Spreads Easily
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mold grows when moisture is present. When a home is water damaged, there is an abundant level of moisture, even during times when the water damage does not appear severe.
If you try cleaning up the water yourself, you may be able to get most of it out of the room in ended up in, but you might not be able to get rid of all of it. Water can easily seep through the walls and floors in a home, which causes it to get trapped in areas you cannot access. Because you cannot see the water, you may assume it is gone. Unfortunately though, the water is still there.
Flood cleanup crews understand exactly how this works, and they do not simply remove standing water from a room. They take this job much further, and one of the ways they do this is by testing the moisture content in all areas of the house. Through this, they are able to see exactly where the moisture is, and they will treat all of these areas to eliminate it.
The reason this is so important is mold can be toxic. According to Medicine Net, breathing in mold spores can lead to numerous health problems, including:
- Allergies – Mold can lead to a number of allergy symptoms, including sneezing, coughing, and runny nose issues.
- Asthma – Anyone with allergies could develop asthma from mold, but people that already have asthma may have worsened symptoms.
- Weakened immune system – In some cases, breathing in mold can weaken a person's immune system, making the person more vulnerable to illnesses.
After water damage occurs, it is vital to eliminate all the moisture because it will easily lead to mold and mildew formation.
Indoor Water Damage is Unsanitary
The other important factor in this decision is understanding how unsanitary water damage can be in a home. Even if the water came from a fresh water pipe, there is a chance the water could be contaminated, especially after it remains in your house for a few hours. If the water came from a toilet or any type of waste water line, you will now have to definitely worry about the concern of unsanitary water damage in your house.
Waste water contains bacteria and germs, and these will take over your belongings and building materials of your house. While the first step of flood damage restoration is to remove the standing water, there are several other important steps, including:
- Drying the room out – This is often done with large fans, and it may take several days.
- Removing water damaged items – This not only includes furniture, books, and other belongings, but it can also include drywall and other types of building supplies.
- Sanitizing the area – When an area is cleaned, the mold is removed. When it is sanitized, it is thoroughly cleaned with chemicals that kill all types of bacteria, germs, and mold. This makes the house safe for you to live in.
If the damage is minor, you might be able to clean it up yourself. For all types of major water damage, it is better to hire a flood cleanup company for help. Through the assistance of this type of company, you can be certain that your home will be clean and safe to live in.
Visit sites like http://www.moldfireflood.com for more information.